We’re a lucky bunch living on the Sunshine Coast beside the beautiful ocean, but our climate can have a dramatic impact on the longevity of our outdoor furniture.
Outdoor furniture is an essential part of our great Australian lifestyle and whilst we love soaking up the sunshine and the salt air, our furniture doesn’t. In saying that, there is absolutely no need to sacrifice style and comfort for durability if you get it right from the beginning. This equates to minimal maintenance so you can spend more time relaxing and entertaining.
There are certain materials that are better suited for the outdoors than others. Variants in temperature and humidity can cause solid timber to shrink and swell leading to movement, cracks and warping. Ultraviolet rays can cause timber and fabrics to fade, salt air can play havoc with steel, leading to rust and water can cause timber to rot. Selecting the right materials is a crucial first step and that’s where we at RAW Sunshine Coast can help.
Type of timber
All timbers are categorised into classes according to their durability and we’ll point you in the direction of the best species to select for your piece of furniture.
We only use Osmo finishes at RAW. Timber is a natural material and the cell structure, similar to our skin, can take on and release moisture. Osmo ensures that this exchange is not prevented.
Osmo UV-Protection-Oil is based on natural vegetable oils. Natural oils penetrate deeply into the wood, maintaining its health and elasticity, preventing it from drying and becoming brittle. The wood is able to breathe. Moisture can evaporate. Shrinking and swelling are reduced. The timber remains naturally beautiful, protected and durable.
Aluminium won’t rust like steel as is perfect for homes that are affected by salt in the air. Designs need to ensure that water cannot pool within the frame. Powder coating aluminium is a great way to inject some colour into your furniture with the range of available colours growing each year, it’s no longer just the standard white, black, silver and bottle green.
Selecting fabrics with ultraviolet stabilisers will resist fading from sunlight and also assist with water repellency.
Once you have a good understanding of the materials available to you, the RAW team can assist you in turning your furniture dreams into reality. We’ll be there to assist you throughout the process from the design stages right through to installation. All of our furniture is made locally on the Sunshine Coast, by our qualified and experienced team of designers, furniture makers, cabinet makers and joiners.
- Positioning outdoor furniture under sheltered areas such as verandahs, away from direct rain and sunlight, will increase the life of your outdoor furniture.
- Never cover your timber furniture during winter as this will trap moisture and lead to the growth of mould and mildew.
- Ensure that any water is drained out of aluminium frames and salt build up is removed with the occasional wipe down with warm soapy water. Avoid abrasive cloths.
- Re-coat timber with Osmo every 12 months unless the furniture is showing early signs of deterioration. It’s easy to renew as it won’t crack, flake or peel, so no need for time consuming sanding or primer when you need to re-coat your outdoor furniture.
- Keep your furniture up off the dirt on a dry, clean surface.
- Bring cushions in out of the rain and store away if you’re not using them for an extended period of time.
With some expert advice, good design using precise joinery and little bit of ongoing maintenance, you’ll be sure to enjoy your outdoor furniture for many years.
Director of RAW Sunshine Coast Furniture Workshop
Custom made furniture is our specialty and we take great pride in our creations, only designing and handcrafting quality furniture that will last a lifetime. Our services are available Australia wide.